Forums » Yuba Foothills General Discussion

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

Veternarian

• 5 posts
    January 10, 2013 2:14:01 PM PST

Hi there! We moved to Browns Valley back in May and I am looking for a veternatiran in the area for our three dogs. Does anyone have any reccomendations for vets in the Loma Rica/Browns Valley area?

• 94 posts
    January 10, 2013 2:56:41 PM PST
    I highly recommend Prairie Creek Animal Hospital..located in Loma Rica
    Dr. Shannon Sullivan is the best
    Their phone number is 749-6530
    • 968 posts
    January 10, 2013 3:50:04 PM PST
    We also use Prairie Creek Animal Hospital. We have seven dogs, and Dr. Sullivan has treated them well, made suggestions where possible for less expensive solutions to problems, recommended another vet when we needed a tiny scope for our Yorkie, and helped us with a rescue Pomeranian that needed dental work and a health assessment. We still have him and she still treats him! And....she's really sneaky when giving shots to my hyper dog so she doesn't get too wound up!
    • 696 posts
    January 10, 2013 5:56:19 PM PST
    That's a skill transferable to humans as well.
    • 94 posts
    January 10, 2013 7:42:20 PM PST
    We are lucky to have Dr. Sullivan in our area.
    • 207 posts
    January 11, 2013 8:35:26 AM PST
    they are pricey though
    • 346 posts
    January 12, 2013 7:02:58 PM PST
    I have always used Dr.Troy Young at Marysville Veterinary Hospital. I think they are all pricey. A friend of mine recently switched to North Pointe in Yuba City. She had an emergency and they are open 24/7. She was so impressed with them she is going to switch to them for everything. Said the prices were better than Prairie Creek and Marysville.
    • 336 posts
    January 13, 2013 8:34:19 PM PST
    I've heard really good things about Dr Linda. Here's a link to her site.
    She will actually make house calls to euthanise and is very kind.
    http://goldcountryholisticvet.com/index.html
    • 197 posts
    January 14, 2013 10:29:23 AM PST
    We use either Best Friends Animal Clilnic in Grass Valley http://www.bestfriends-animalclinic.com/ ( Dr. Tom Strolle) or Look Ahead Veterinary Service in Oriville http://www.lookaheadvet.net/ ( Craig A. Brown DVM )
    • 197 posts
    January 14, 2013 10:31:34 AM PST
    Oops,,, didn't spell check,,, meant clinic not Clilnic and Oroville not Oriville LOL :-D
    • 23 posts
    January 14, 2013 9:59:01 PM PST
    Northpoint is amazing! They are in yuba but much less expensive the praire creek and the staff and all the doctors are so great. I highly recommend them!
    • 91 posts
    January 15, 2013 10:36:30 AM PST
    I personally prefer to stay with Prairie Creek. Living further north in the foothills, you may pay more at Prairie Creek but the cost of fuel to/from the valley floor is one consideration. However, the care my dogs receive at Prairie Creek and the outstanding skills and compassion of Dr. Sullivan far outweigh me going anyplace else. Kudos to Dr. Sullivan and her staff !
    • 5 posts
    January 18, 2013 3:25:38 PM PST
    Thank you! We ended up having to go to Northpointe over the last weekend because of an emergency, but I am all about connivence so I also made regular appointments with Prairie Creek
    • 5 posts
    January 18, 2013 3:25:40 PM PST
    Thank you! We ended up having to go to Northpointe over the last weekend because of an emergency, but I am all about connivence so I also made regular appointments with Prairie Creek
    • 14 posts
    January 22, 2013 12:38:47 PM PST

Prairie Creek, they saved my best friends life after eating rat poison.

• 217 posts
    January 24, 2013 7:11:39 PM PST
    Dr. Sullivan is really lucky to live in a community that says nice things about her and she is very grateful. We are working on the prices. Ask for quotes...we try very hard to work with budgets.
    Dr. S
    • 60 posts
    January 25, 2013 6:48:20 PM PST
    I just heard that Dr. Sullivan quit working at Prairie Creek? She is the only reason I started going back there. Before her, I had too many bad experiences. If this is true I hope she lets the community know?
    • 5 posts
    January 25, 2013 7:06:28 PM PST
    She was in there on Monday when I went in! Very very nice staff (and I've seen a few because I have moved a lot) I loved the mellow atmosphere and how everyone that was working was having a good time. I had to bring my Labrador into Northpointe after we had a weekend emergency and they were nice but I am so so glad that I ended up going with Prairie Creek for care, my expectations were exceeded and really the prices were VERY fair in my option! :) And a staff that is totally loving on my poochie makes it even more worth it!
    • 94 posts
    January 25, 2013 7:54:24 PM PST
    I am very happy with Prairie Creek and I hope this just a rumor that Dr. Sullivan is not at Prairie Creek. Say it is not so..
    • 15 posts
    January 25, 2013 10:31:53 PM PST
    Dr Sullivan was there last night when I took in a pigmy goat for an emergency c-section. Dr Challie (sp?) said Dr Sullivan was buying the practice . . . (mommy goat and babies are all doing well)
    • 968 posts
    January 26, 2013 9:42:37 AM PST
    I was in there twice this week. Nothing was said then about anyone leaving. Since I like to check out the source and not operate on rumors, I called Prairie Creek and they said that as of right now, it is true that she is not working there. I am so sad.
    • 91 posts
    January 26, 2013 1:24:16 PM PST
    I think we all hope the status of Dr. Sullivan *not* at Prairie Creek is only a temporary situation. We NEED to have a vet in the foothills. I was just there on Thursday and have a re-check in two weeks. As much as I said I wouldn’t go to the valley floor for vet services, if she has left, I will follow Dr. Sullivan to the valley floor. Such a sad state of affairs with all the troubles Prairie Creek has had in the past with people having problems with the ‘office manager’ at the time.. Dr. Sullivan was such a breath of fresh air being there for our needs. Not to say Dr. Chaillie wasn’t there, as he was there after hours many times for me and my emergencies. But with him being gone to Arizona to support his daughter Dr. Sullivan took over and did wonders. How can he run a practice when he’s not around ? We need continuity between our pets and our vets.
    • 122 posts
    January 27, 2013 8:04:18 AM PST
    I too will follow her wherever she goes. Sad that the greed of the previous "office manager/soon to be ex-wife of Dr. Challie" has perhaps brought about this failed sell to Dr. Sullivan. She was and is the breathe of fresh air that this community needs. Thankfully dr. Challie is in Arizona taking care of their daughter. He will be missed as will Dr. Sullivan if she has in fact left. So sad.
    • 346 posts
    January 27, 2013 8:27:36 AM PST
    dragonfly....do you know for a fact that the previous office manager/exwife is perhaps responsible for a failed sale??? Because unless you know for that a fact.....I don't think you should be spreading rumors. I have never cared for the office people there and the only time I ever used them was an emergency. Fortunately it was on a Sunday and Dr. Challie just happened to be there.....no office people.
    • 122 posts
    January 27, 2013 9:00:30 AM PST
    I am suspecting nothing has changed since her last time in the office when she ran so many clients off. You are absolutely correct that I should not "guess" at what is happening at PCAH. I'm just upset that Dr. Sullivan who has given her heart and soul to PCAH and the community and our animals would be treated so unfairly when attempting to do something good. Look at the other posts, I'm not the first one to mention the "Previous office manager." Anyone want to do a '60s protest at losing Dr. Sullivan? We could make some creative signs and bundle up and walk on the roadway in front of the building. A peaceful protest for sure.
    • 346 posts
    January 27, 2013 9:09:06 AM PST
    I'm just saying no one knows why or if she is actually leaving. You don't know that she has been treated unfairly. I have no love loss for anyone there....the last two times I have contacted them for a ranch emergency I was told they would only come out after regular office hours. Not a great answer when you are dealing with an emergency. That is when I found out that Dr. Wulf was doing ranch calls. He was here within an hour and saved the day. But even that being said, I wish her the best....but let's not start spreading unfounded rumors about what is happening with her or the practice.
    • 346 posts
    January 27, 2013 9:09:07 AM PST
    I'm just saying no one knows why or if she is actually leaving. You don't know that she has been treated unfairly. I have no love loss for anyone there....the last two times I have contacted them for a ranch emergency I was told they would only come out after regular office hours. Not a great answer when you are dealing with an emergency. That is when I found out that Dr. Wulf was doing ranch calls. He was here within an hour and saved the day. But even that being said, I wish her the best....but let's not start spreading unfounded rumors about what is happening with her or the practice.
    • 122 posts
    January 27, 2013 9:59:21 AM PST
    Just to be clear, as I guess my words could be misconstrued, Dr. Sullivan has NEVER said she has had any problems with the previous office manager. Please keep all parties in your prayers at this time.
    • 91 posts
    January 27, 2013 10:13:37 AM PST
    I also want to make clear when I spoke of problems with the previous 'office manager' that I WAS referring to posts on THIS forum regarding PCAH. Personally, I have not had any problems with that person, but there were scathing remarks posted here about others having problems. Once the 'office manager' was no longer there folks starting talking nice about PCAH again. It was unfortunate because the rest of the staff was teriffic. I still hope that Dr. Sullivan will remain in the area to support us. Regards,
    • 122 posts
    January 27, 2013 10:22:02 AM PST
    The above post is true for me also. The references to the previous office manager all came from the posts to this forum last year. Since the previous office manager left and Dr. Sullivan started working at PCAH, only nice things have appeared on the board. I agree, I hope Dr. Sullivan stays in the area, she's the best. She has never had a bad thing to say about anyone or anything.
    • 217 posts
    March 6, 2013 8:30:12 PM PST
    I am sorry to report that I will apparently no longer be at PCAH. I have not decided what direction I will be taking.
    • 217 posts
    March 6, 2013 8:32:13 PM PST
    I understand that Mrs. Chaillie will be resuming sole ownership of Prairie Creek Animal Hospital and I wish her the best of luck.
    • 122 posts
    March 6, 2013 8:42:20 PM PST
    Well, whatever direction you take froglet2, there are many of us that will follow you from PCAH, so please keep us posted on this board of your new location. You were the reason I switched to PCAH in the first place. You took great care of my four footed children and were kind and courteous to me. Thank you.
    • 94 posts
    March 6, 2013 8:48:30 PM PST
    Yes please do..
    • 94 posts
    March 6, 2013 8:48:33 PM PST
    Yes please do..
    • 217 posts
    March 6, 2013 9:04:30 PM PST
    Thank you I am going to miss all of you terribly. You are all my neighbors up here and many of you are my personal friends and I just have to hope God has a higher purpose in this.
    • 15 posts
    March 6, 2013 9:06:28 PM PST
    Dr Sullivan, please stay in the area; we need you.
    Linda, mom to llamas & goats
    • 567 posts
    March 6, 2013 11:14:18 PM PST
    If "Mrs" Chaillie is taking the practice over I will DEFINITELY follow Dr Sullivan wherever she goes within reasonable mileage.
    • 346 posts
    March 7, 2013 7:41:27 AM PST
    Who will the vet be??? I don't use them because of problems I had getting them to come out for an emergency ranch call, but it's always nice to know who the vet will be. I did use them once for an emergency with a dog and had no problems.....my problem was they wouldn't come out for a ranch emergency.
    • 91 posts
    March 7, 2013 8:05:40 AM PST
    This post saddens be greatly. I've been with Prairie Creek since Dr. Wulf moved from Brownsville ( which I also used ). I too, will follow Dr. Sullivan where ever she goes. I also plan to get my records from PCAH so I will have them. I won't wait until I 'need' them as who says that the office will be even there or open when necessary.
    • 87 posts
    March 8, 2013 7:46:57 AM PST

Dr. Sullivan I would like to take this time to "thank you" for all your hard work with Beaux..at the end you were so compassionate and caring..Please let us know where you will be and hopfully it will be close..Lavonne, Beaux's Mom...

• 73 posts
    March 8, 2013 8:30:50 AM PST
    I would recommend Davies Vet in Yuba City. The ONLY reason we left there is because we moved to Penn Valley and found Dr. Challie and then Dr. Sullivan. Two extremely wonderful Vets and individuals. We'll be calling Prairie Creek for our pets paperwork soon.
    • 48 posts
    March 12, 2013 8:05:02 AM PDT
    We have used Penn Valley veterinary Clinic for a long time. 530-432-8443
    It is not too far to drive for good service and thoughtful pricing. We explain how much we can afford and go from there.
    • 660 posts
    March 15, 2013 3:27:02 PM PDT
    I started using whispering pines vet clinic in magalia.. a bit of a drive... but.. if you need the latest technology and enjoy having not only a knowledgeable vet but a compassionate one as well I reccomend trying them for non emergency issues, Unless you live close to them.
    • 91 posts
    March 15, 2013 4:19:23 PM PDT
    I stopped by today to say goodbye to all the wonderful staff at Prairie Creek today. Marissa Mauldin ( Mrs. Chaillie ) is taking possession at end of business today Friday 3/15/2013. I wish the staff who I have come to think of as my friends, and most definately friends of all my 'fur-kids' ... the best in where ever they 'land'. All their names were already off the window when I was there at 3:00pm. So very sad for all envolved ... but not only the staff, it's the community who will be hurt. ~ sigh ~
    • 122 posts
    March 15, 2013 4:32:52 PM PDT
    Oh I know. I called them, it was so sad. Not only is Marissa screwing over Dr. Challie, but she is screwing over the community as well. At least they are walking away united - that should speak volumes to those who will continue to frequent PCAH. PCAH is convenient but I don't want anyone that vindictive working on my animals. It isn't the animals that they will care about, it is the money. I wish PCAH and its new staff well.
    • 91 posts
    March 15, 2013 4:46:37 PM PDT
    What is even worse, is Dr. Tom Chaillie has to stay there for a month or so ( from what I understand ) ... That should be interesting to say the least
    ? I have an appointment in Chico for a laparoscopic spay and tack for my girl. To be fair, this type of spay/tack wasn't available at PCAH.
    • 94 posts
    March 15, 2013 5:26:20 PM PDT
    I guess I will have to start going to Northpoint in Yuba City. I went once for an emergency and they were very good. I liked having Prairie Creek being so close. But without Dr. Chaille and Dr. Sullivan, I will most likely switch. Do we have to pick up our records, or will a new vet request them?
    • 91 posts
    March 15, 2013 5:47:39 PM PDT
    A new vet would request them, but I would also ask for a copy of the records for your own. I believe that they cannot charge you for copies when it's because of a change in staff. I picked up mine 2 weeks ago.
    • 122 posts
    March 15, 2013 7:43:31 PM PDT
    I have returned to my previous veterinarian in Penn Valley. The staff is always pleasant and they love the humans as much as their pets. When Doc Sullivan gets settled in again, I'll follow her :-)