Forums » Yuba Foothills General Discussion

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

Loma Rica History

December 13, 2010 7:29:40 AM PST
    Does anyone know of a place to find history and such about Loma Rica? I have lived here my whole life of 35 years but do not know the past of this area other than that which I have lived. I am really interested in finding out all I can and am not finding a whole lot. Suggestions?
    • 55 posts
    December 13, 2010 8:13:45 AM PST
    Hi i know some history about Loma Rica. I even have a 1915 map of Loma Rica. I have an article about Loma Rica too.
    • 242 posts
    December 14, 2010 8:00:32 AM PST
    Contact Donna Landerman, she does a lot of history things for the local foothills.
    • 968 posts
    December 14, 2010 10:23:14 AM PST
    leigha,   Would you be willing to share your map?  Maybe scan it and post it in your photo album?  Or if you're looking for a way to make money, maybe you could make copies and sell them to us locals for Christmas presents. 
    • 130 posts
    December 14, 2010 4:02:39 PM PST
    The California Room at the library has a ton of history, through the newspapers that are on microfilm.  Also Yuba Roots has some information on their website (I think it is www.yubaroots.org).  Donna is a great resource as well as Sue Cejner Moyer at the Yuba County Library and Ivadene Leech with the Browns Valley Cemetery Commission.  I have an old yuba County map digitally that someone had scanned for me in a pdf file.  If anyone would like the digital copy, please post your email  on this thread.  I think it is from the late 1890's but may be the same one mentioned earlier by leigha (i may have sent it to her already).  Google has been scanning old books and they are available too for no charge at all.  Go to www.google.com.  choose "more" and go to books.  Type in Loma Rica.  I found an article from 1915 from the Caterpillar times, but you could root around it online.
    • 55 posts
    December 14, 2010 6:46:51 PM PST
    • 55 posts
    December 14, 2010 6:51:00 PM PST
    lost book I heard of this book about all the old ranches from a friend who loaned it to anothe friend a long time ago. appeartley his friend lost it a long time ago I don't think they have one at the yuba county library. It was an old yuba county book that he received from the old law office when it went out of buisness many years ago in marysville area. The book a drawings of the old Loma Rica Ranches out this way. oh man I wish he remembered the name of it. It would be neat to see that.
    December 14, 2010 7:57:49 PM PST
    Thanks for all the input, I definately want a copy of that map, please email it to lomaricajeep@att.net
    • 968 posts
    December 15, 2010 12:31:35 PM PST
    loma_rica@hotmail.com
    I'd love to have a copy of your map!!!!!  Thanks so much for your generosity!

• 20 posts
    December 19, 2010 6:01:14 PM PST
    I have lived in Browns Valley since 1964 and would love to have a copy of your map....

sangston2001@yahoo.com   csangston@co.sutter.ca.us

Thank you very much!
    • 130 posts
    December 21, 2010 7:20:29 AM PST
    I emailed the map to all who posted their email on this thread.  It is a 12mb file so if you didn't get it, it might have been blocked by your server.  Although I can't do this on work time, (only on breaks), I could mail a disc if you really want it. 
    • 3 posts
    December 28, 2010 9:54:17 AM PST
    Thank you for your generous offer!  I would love a copy of the map and whatever else you would like to share!  I would like to add it to my website - www.yubaroots.com - so that others may have access to it all over the world, who are interested in Loma Rica's history.  I think it's important that we share history with anyone who is interested! :-)  Hopefully some of you will find some interesting things on the 70,000 pages of history on the site.  It's a labor of love!
    yubaroots@gmail.com
    • 27 posts
    December 28, 2010 1:54:14 PM PST
    Would also love a copy of the map.  Been trying to find some older maps of this area, but no luck. 

Thanks!

• 8 posts
    December 29, 2010 5:48:38 AM PST
    This from a coffee mug I purchased at Gold Eagle probably some 15 years ago or so. 

"Many early settlers who lived in this area were from Iowa.  Loma Rica, originally called Iowa City, was founded in 1915.  In Spanish, Loma Rica means "Rich Hill."  During the 1920's, Loma Rica was described as:  "A wondrous land of plains, mountains and sky...excellent for growing citrus fruits, olives and grapes."   Joaquin's cave is located on Payne's peak near Loma Rica and served as a hideout for Joaquin Marietta, the notorious Mexican bandit.  The cave was struck by lightning in the 1920's and is no longer accessible.  The hideaway caves on Payne's peak were used by Black Bart and other Desperados of the old West.  Payne's peak is about 1200 feet in elevation and provided an excellent view of approaching Lawmen.  The caves were only a short ride to the Florentine Roadhouse, named after a Frenchman who settled in Loma Rica, Florentine Veign.  The Florentine Roadhouse Saloon was famous for many brawls and several murders.  Today, the Loma Rica area is a hideaway for many summer vacationers.  There is a lot of wonderful camping and fishing close to Loma Rica."

So... if you're skeptical about Historical Information taken from a coffee mug, I would think it's at least as accurate as anything you'd find on the Internet, i.e. Wikipedia...  ;-) 
    • 143 posts
    December 29, 2010 9:46:49 AM PST
    I remember those cups in the Gold Eagle!  I also remember before the Gold Eagle was built getting gas at the Loma Rica store.  Do you remember their old pump?  That was the only place to get gas if you forgot to get gas in Marysville.  I remember being glad for the gas pumps at the Gold Eagle and then even happier when the gas station was built at Marysville Rd and Hwy 20, LOL.
    • 130 posts
    December 29, 2010 10:26:38 AM PST
    Hey Kathy,

I think I sent you the map already.  Let me know if I haven't.  It's jeff!  hope all is well.
    • 55 posts
    December 29, 2010 12:57:12 PM PST
    hey bobsmith do you know where the Florteine veign Ranch was located at? wasn't it maybe located up by the Brydan Ranch? I was tyring to locate the main property to take pics. I'm writing a children's book about Loma Rica. Loma Rica has very good history.
    • 55 posts
    December 29, 2010 12:59:30 PM PST
    does anyone have any colord pics of what the oak tree use to look like in front of Loma Rica Store. I wish I could see pictures of what it looked like back then. In my book I travel back in time and see everything what it looked like back then.
    • 17 posts
    December 29, 2010 8:20:42 PM PST
    There was a small book done in 1976 .  The book contained lots of interviews with local residents who were older and remembered lots of the history.  believe the Marysville Libary may have a copy.  Mrs. Krosen, who Krosen Rd was named after, told me how she came to live here.  She said that she and her husband saw an ad for farm land for sale for $5 per acre.  It was advertised as orange grove orchard land.
    • 690 posts
    December 30, 2010 6:33:29 AM PST
    There is also a lady at Forbes Town museum (can't recall her name) which has  extensive geneology and historical information on the foothills.
    • 8 posts
    • 8 posts
    December 31, 2010 8:08:14 AM PST
    Hi Greta,
    I'm afraid you've got me on the gas pumps, that's a bit before my time.  We didn't get here until Oct. of 1993.
    It's amazing how much history there is up here...
    • 317 posts
    January 1, 2011 12:53:08 PM PST

Per BVID tax assessment records In 1906 F. Veigne owned 1443 acres all in one large parcel. It was all of section 20, Twp 17, Range 5 and portions of Sec 17, 21, 28 and 16.  A. S. Wight owned property to the north and J Bryden the property to the west along Prairie Creek. The area referred to starts near Loma Rica and Fruitland intersection and from there runs north/west following what is now Fruitland to just past Littlefield Rd. The only improvement showing in the 1906 appraisal records of BVIDs was on a 3 acre parcel in Sec 17. I recall an old house on the hill across from Littlefield Rd that was destroyed by fire about 50 years ago. I have no idea if that could have been the Florentine House but appears to be the only buildings on the property in 1906. The late 1800 BVID records better describe the buildings but I do not have access to that record today. I will check the 1800 records when I can and see what I find out. On the 1914 county map the Viegne land was owned by A. B. Luther. In 1914 the small parcels in the area of what is now Loma Rica and Fruitland intersection was called Cannstadt Colony.  Around 1900 the Colony parcels were owned by the South Feather Water and Mining Company which in later years became a property development company. Most of the BVID ditches in the area from Panes Peak through Loma Rica to Browns Valley were purchased from SFW&MC by BVID and many of them are still in use today. 

In the area from Iowa City Rd south there was Olive Hill Tract, Orangevale Colony, and Lillian Colony which continued south to the area around Hwy 20 and Kibbe Rd. What is now Las Quintas was part of the old Lillian tract as  it was originally laid out. The proposed Iowa City development was in the area where Iowa City Rd is today. The old rock chimney on the north side of Iowa City was part of the development promotion. In recent years, before the land was leveled, in the area of Fruitland and Iowa City the grading of the old roadways were visible. A short way south of Iowa City on the east side of Loma Rica Rd, where the palm trees are, is Palm Ave a street in the  Orangevale Tract.

Bob Bordsen

• 55 posts
    January 2, 2011 1:34:42 PM PST
    Hi I heard about A.B Luther and Anna Luther wonder if they were married. wonder if that What Arthur Brink Luther stands for the Bank I notiece that A.B. Luther came from San Fransico maybe.  Was the Florenite Ranch just almost right before you get too little field road.   And  was thinking it looked like to me maybe Amos Smith Wight live somewhere on Wolf Road maybe. It's hard reading those maps with the sections on it? Wonder if BVID might have any old photo's of old house in Loma Rica a long time ago or any photo's of pioneers. like Amos Wight didn't he help at BVID once before?
    • 317 posts
    January 2, 2011 5:25:58 PM PST

From the 1893 BVID minutes.  “Office of the Browns Valley Irrigation District, Browns Valley, Nov. 7th, 1893.

At a regular meeting of the board of directors of the Browns Valley Irrigation District the following business was transacted.

Board called to order 10 am, Pres. Wight in the chair. Members present: Wight, Arnold, Burris, Folsom and McMillan. Minutes of last meeting read and approved. Reports of ditch tenders Smith and Hendricks received and placed on file.”

The Wight property at that time was the south 1/2 of section 16 which is straight north of LR and also including a small part of sec 21. Sec 16 starts on Krosen Rd 1/4 mile north of the Loop intersection. From there the Wight property ran 1/2 mile north and 1/2 mile east and west. The sec 21 pieeice continued to the south for 1/4 mile and west 1/2 mile. The property appeared to belong to Luther in 1914 along with all of the Veigne property.

• 41 posts
    January 5, 2011 1:14:48 PM PST
    Hey Bvid-direc-1,ofomk,bobsmith10,leigh129,etal,

Showed this thread to parents and have some questions, and maybe some answers?

1.  Is there any idication of the old Wells Fargo bank/stage lines being a major property ownerin Loma Rica?  When dad bought his first property here in 1939 he purchased directly from the Wells Fargo.  He was under the impression it was a repo property, but it makes me think as he says they had many, many parcels for sale and he more or less had his pick for the amount of land he wanted and his cash. If it was a repo could the bank maybe have forclosed on one of the developers or were they original owners?  There were a few various orchards on the property but no signs of any construction.  Our road was owned by Wells Fargo but after his bellowing with the county somehow he got them to take it over.  Later on, probably in the late '40s he attended a Farm Bureau meeting at the hall where they had a slide presentation of old pictures and low and behold there was a house on a section of his property.  He couldn't believe it as there was no evidence of any house anywhere on the property.  Now we think that maybe the house was inhabited by a squatter?  This brings us into pictures:

2. Could it be possible the California Farm bureau may an archive of pictures like you put together from BVID?  Also Leigh129, you mentined the Old Oak Tree  I remember the Oak well and it was huge and legally there should have been a permit for falling it.  If so there should be pictures along with the permit.I wasn't here when this was done nor the razing of the old Brick School, but there should have been a permit for that too along with pictures.  Since they were both a short distance away it's possible they are in each other's back ground?

3.  Bob you mentioned the house that burned down across from Littlefied Rd. about 50 years ago.  I think that belonged to Helene Hopkins or she lived there anyway,whom my mom was very close with but Helene was much older.  If it's the same place Have been there many times. she had a beautiful garden, but the inside was very dreary.

4. Odomk, you mentioned the Krosens, parents were also close friends,  Don't remember Elmer but know he was around,  florence was a different story.  She belonged to several women's card clubs as did mom.  Have no doubt that they paid $5 per acre as that was pretty much the going rate after the depression and even after wwII.
    Dad paid $30 net/acre but he thinks he may have got screwed as he was only 17 and as he says, young, and naive.  Dad & Mom also bought a small 1 bedroom house with a few acres after the war (1946) for $800 where we lived while he was developing the other property.  This house was fortunate it had indoor plumbing with no septic tank but a sespool.  So you can imagine what that was like.  I asked where the well was and dad says, "Don't worry about it, you're alive."  The Ice man came out once a week to load the ice box.  He sold this house in 1952 for $600..Is history repeating?

5.  These ranches you are mentioning: Growing up here and in 4H, we used to get bummers to raise from a huge sheep ranch on Honcut road. A mile or two before you get into Honcut you turned right and back in a way along the creek.  Could this be the place?  Also about the parties. A house on Ramirez road from the Honcut road.  I can rembember huge parties there.   Can't think of anyone else that raised sheep around here, as this was mainly Dairy and Olive country, Right Bob?

6.  "Loma Rica"  We love the name, but can't figure out how anyone would have had the authority to Officially name us.  What is meant my Officially?  Where would the boundries be?